Duane Bozarth

John R wrote:

Started up the Sears ( Murray ) snow blower to let it run for a few
minutes off season and then change the oil. The blower is almost new
and this was to be the first oil change. The Briggs and Stratton 7.5 hp
OHV engine has oil plugs that are not convenient for draining on the
snow blower, so Murray thoughtfully installed a 4 inch extension pipe
into the engine, then put a drain plug on the end of the extension.

The problem is when I take a wrench to the drain plug, the entire
extension unscrews from the engine. They must have really torqued down
the plug onto the extension. I was unable to stop it from turning with
vice pliers because there isn't much to grip. Finally I channeled the
oil as best i could and drained it (removing the extension and all) ,
resulting in a small mess. Unfortunately i don't have a bench vise but
am not sure if that would work to get the plug off.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking of installing a Fram
Oil Sure Drain (quick drain oil plug) although I'm not sure there will
be enough clearance from the top of the snow blower frame, even if there
is a Sure Drain of the proper size.

A pipe wrench should do the trick while you've got it drained to free
the plug...