news-text.dsl.pipex.com

"Jonathan Pearson" wrote in message
news-text.dsl.pipex.com wrote:
I've got an old toilet which I have been trying to ignore failing as
I plan to redecorate the bathroom and replace the entire suite at
that time, how ever it has been giving lots of problems flushing
often taking 10-15 attempts. So can wait no longer, replacing the
toilet is not an option because that would mean replacing the tiles
around the toilet which I can't get any more, in fact I cant even get
that shape any more, So I guess I need to fix the toilet.

SNIP

Problems of this nature can be caused because their isn't enough head
above the siphon system - how far is the water level from the overflow
pipe in the cistern - if its more than a few inches then try adjusting the
ballcock
Jon

Its about 1/2 inch away form the overflow pipe, in fact its touching the
rubber seal round the overflow pipe.
When I raised the water to this height it appeared to work better for a
while , and every so often it will flush really well.
How ever some times even through the Cistern is full of water pulling on the
hardly it feels like there is nothing there. Then a few attempts later it
will suddenly flush. But a lot of the time it seems to start to flush then
just dies out with out becoming a full flush