TheScullster

Default Detail for Support of Steel Joist Ends

Hi all

I am trying to finalise drawing details for submission to building control.
Intend to install steel beam to support ceiling joists by "notching" joist
ends into either side of beam.
I do not believe that this beam is taking any load other than the weight of
ceiling/joist materials (the roof is traditional construction, not modern
braced truss).

What sort of arrangement is required/expected at the ends of the beam for
support?
I seem to remember talk of padstones and also the need to pack up the beam
ends with slate (if adjustment is necessary) and not simply rest the steel
on a mortar bed.
Also I expect it will be necessary to "build in", ie brick fully around the
beam end profile to achieve solid fixing.

Can anyone comment on the above please?
Also, what form do the padstones take? I anticipate a concrete block maybe
18" long to shed the beam end load into the brick/block work beneath.

TIA

Phil