mac davis

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:54:11 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Can someone give me some tips on boring deep holes for pepper mills? I plan
on using Forstner bits with extensions and boring on the lathe. Anything
else I should do of be wary of? Thanks.

Barry

We did a bunch of pepper mills a few years ago, and I went the other route:

I drilled the square stock, (some 3" x 3" walnut that the client had), in the
drill press, and then mounted the blanks on in a chuck and live center using
short tapered dowels... worked great..

Now that I have a larger lathe, I might try drilling the mills with the
tailstock chuck, but at the time that DP just seemed more accurate...

BTW: we used Precision Chef grinding mechanisms and rods, and they worked really
well....YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing