Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Not at all, but it isn't always short, people may be carrying things
that make walking for any distance impractical, and there shouldn't be
compulsion.

Ah, So you're like the average driver who parks within the pedestrian
crossing zig-zags at a local takeaway?

Nope.

The important thing is to have to
walk the minimum distance?

If you're carrying a lot of things it helps.

And you do this on every journey? I'm not talking about doing the weekly
shop or collecting DIY goods, etc. Just the normal daily journeys.

Like the mums who double park on the school run
with a space a few yards away?

Nope.

But it's the logical extension of desiring door to door transport at all
times and practised by many motorists. Surely you've noticed this?

[snip]

First of all, emissions could be addressed substantially by switching
to alternative types of fuel than diesel.

Pollution in my context doesn't just refer to the output of the exhaust.
It includes noise and congestion. Those are both pollution to the
residents.

OK, so fundamentally this means that places of business should be
separated from places of residence.

Err, you've not been following my argument. It's the fact that many choose
to live a long way from their work that causes the commuting misery for
those who live in the areas commuted through. And like I said, many who do
this would be most upset if their quiet village or dormitory town was
subject to the same levels of through traffic throughout the day and
night.

Secondly, cities in many other countries, and a few in the UK, have a
GPS and computer integrated booking system so that virtually all trips
are through a control centre and vehicle movements are optimised.
There is no need for taxis to be driving around empty for any length
of time looking for business.

You'll still need to stand around waiting for one at peak times - unless
there is an vast excess.

Doesn't seem to happen in cities that have implemented optimising
technology.

And those are comparable to London? It tends to be unique in that vast
chunks were built before the motor car - or before it became common. And
even the modern parts don't make provision for it in the same way as other
countries where land is less expensive.

So them driving around looking for fares at other
times.

This is the whole point. They shouldn't be driving around looking for
fares. There should be no need. If there are no fares in the
computer controlled zone where they are and they want to work, they go
to one where there are.

So drive there empty? 'Cause they'll be just like buses - full in the rush
hour, empty outside it.

So why not just spend that time walking to the station, etc.
They're rarely far away in most parts of London. Or take a bus to the
station.

This may be true if you want to start and end a journey within the
coverage of the bus or tube network

You're never far away from any of those - and you'd be surprised at how
many alternative routes that may exist if you do some research. Same as
travelling by car. I prefer to use the overground where possible and
minimise tube journeys, since I like to look about when travelling.
Something you can't do when driving. And I have both overground and tube
stations within easy reach. And a good bus service to the tube if I were
too lazy to walk.

and as long as you are not
carrying things or mind standing squashed next to pushy, smelly
people.

I'm afraid your last sentence says it all. Everyone smells to some extent.
Same as dogs. You just don't notice your own one.

But then the answer is not to travel in the rush hour. Why would you want
to if you're only going shopping?

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.