RicodJour

Choreboy wrote:

When I mentioned the lack of felt to my never-wrong neighbor, he told me
many roofers have told him that's the best way to do it. Should I ask
his wife to tape a shingle over his mouth?

No, of course not. Staple hammer.

My roof has a 6-in-12 pitch. I plan to reroof myself. Does roofing
felt provide decent footing? (Shingles with loose grit underfoot can
make a guy a little uneasy.)

6/12 is a walker, no big deal. Don't get nervous and don't make the
mistake beginning rock climbers make. If you lean into the roof,
you're putting outward force on your feet. Stay upright, wear the
right footing, tie yourself off if your feel better or use a chicken
ladder (not really necessary). Or you can use roof jacks.
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...ing/roof_5.htm

If it's hot out the building paper rips more easily, so you want to
make sure it's well stapled. Try to work in the shade or cooler parts
of the day if possible.