On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:52:52 -0400, "miamicuse"
graced this newsgroup with:

I have no idea. Bought the house in 1999 and it was already there, so at
least six years.

Not sure I want to hire a plumber to fix it when it may be better to just
replace it with a new unit. I am pretty handy for the most part, but
electrical is not my strong point, do they all have standard fittings if I
buy a new unit? There is an electrical cord coming from behind the cabinet
wall into the unit, not sure how to detach that and hook it to a new unit.

MC

most units just have the wire running behind a removable plate that
has screws for the wire to hook up to. Just find the breaker for the
disposal and remove the wiring from the screws. Then remove the
disposal and replace with the new one. The new one will have
installation instructions. Obviously, all you have to do is reverse
the procedure to remove the old one.

About an hour job if you take your time.