Charlie S.

"Gort" wrote in message
Charlie S. wrote:
wrote in message

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:35:46 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

I usually add telephone jacks by connecting one previously installed
jack to

Why do you need a jack for your telephone? Is it really that heavy?
I have never seen the need for a jack, I just pick my phone up and
carry it. However, if you really do need a jack for it, any
automotive bumper jack or hydraulic floor jack should lift a
telephone.

Good point. Someone else brought up the same point to me. I'm assuming
you mean why not use a cordless phone and carry it around with you. The
basic reason is the phone is used by my elderly father. He has
difficulty hearing. And, no matter how clear these cordless phones are,
they generally don't match the clarity and/or loudness of a corded phone.
Also, the cordless phones bring with them other problems, like they run
out of charge and must be put back in the recharge unit. And, carrying
them around is a nuisance and difficult for someone walking with a cane
or walker. That said, he does have a cordless phone. With more jacks
installed he doesn't need to carry the cordless phone around everywhere
he walks to in the house. Plus, one less wire extension running across
the middle of the floor (to support one of the current corded phone he
uses) decreases the chances of him tripping.

By the way, he uses a block and tackle to lift up one of his phones:-)

Noting his disability problems, why not get an answering machine to take
messages? He could call back to anyone that he wanted to talk to when he
was able to get there, and not try to run to answer what probably would be
the telemarketers calls.

He does use the answering machine from time to time. Generally, it is best
he answers his calls as he is generally available to talk. Those who call
often have busy schedules and this is an ideal time for them to reach him.
As for the telemarketers, I wish there were more of them. He doesn't get
many calls.