Brian V

"Cleetus Awreetus" wrote in message
news:K8eAe.1011$ao6.523@trnddc05...
I 've attempted to install a 48" x 80" double prehung door (made by
Masonite, from Home Depot) into a pre-framed entry way in my house, and
it's turned out to not be as easy as I thought. When I bought the house,
the door way was simply finished with dry wall. I started by pulling off
the dry wall from the inside, to expose the 2x4's all around the inside of
the door way. After pulling off the dry wall, the exact width of the
doorway is 48". I figured since it was 48", then I needed a 48" x 80"
prehung door, which they sold at HD. Little did I realize, that 48" was
the interior measurement of the prehung door frame and that the width from
stud to study would need to be an inch or two more. What's the right way
to proceed on this? Should I even think about trying to pull out one of
the 2x4s on one of the sides to give me an extra 1.5" - 2" or so? Is there
another size of a prehung doors that would better fit my dimensions? Or do
I just need to hire a carpenter to build a custom frame and doors? Any
advice appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Return the door to the borg and order the right one. You can pretty much
custom order everything, generally takes about 2 weeks.

Stud to stud and header to floor measurents are the rough opening which is
what you'll need to get the right one.

-Brian