Andy Hall

Default increase hot water pressure

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:28:44 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

(harry) wrote in
. com:

Great for the info, but can i ask, how low shoud the pump be position
from the hot water drain off from the cylinder, and where can i get a
flow switch device and where do you connect this device as well as
wiring such an item. And is it really necessary for a flange.

Appreciate the answer so far.

Arif

Me, too, but I've got a question or two.

I started asking about installing a new h/w cylinder, moved on to a
nunvented cylinder, thence to heatbank, but they all seem a bit big and
ugly for me - and all I really want is a bit more flow on the hot water;
so I would like to think again about a vented cylinder plus pump.

But I'm worried about sucking air - surely if my manky flow is due to
lack of head, then pulling more out will mean that the header tank will
not be able to keep up, and air _will_ be sucked in, or am I missing
something?

The key thing would be to make sure that the feed pipe which goes from
the tank to the bottom of the cylinder is large enough.

Probably at present it is in 22mm.

WHen I swapped out my cylinder, I replaced this run in 28mm.

Having enough bore on this pipe, means that it will be much less
likely for air to be sucked down the vent pipe and into the pump.

One other thing that is important is to avoid too many sharp elbows in
the pipe and ideally have none at all.
This can be done by renting a pipe bender (most that are cheaply
available only go up to 22mm, or alternatively what I did was to use
pairs of 135degree angles with a short length of straight pipe between
them. Not quite as good as a shallow bend but a lot better than a
90degree elbow.

I already use a pumped shower off my cold tank, and have no problem but
I'd have to empty the tank before I had trouble as I drain from the
bottom of the tank. And as the hot tank is closed it seems there might
be a problem.

However, I would love to give this a go as it seems more within my
capabilities, and stock heatbanks seem too big for my cupboard.

So can anyone help with the practicalities - the flow detector and how
to wire it; sketches for a practical system, etc?

You could use a flow switch (DPS have them for 22mm) and wire it in
series with a bronze pump or alternatively just use a single sided
shower pump.

I would like to use one pump to pressurise just two taps (its all the
hot taps I've got. If successful maybe to add a shower, but that seems
to be a whole new can of worms.

TIA

mike

..andy