Rick

"SQLit" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have a 10 year old home with a Lennox HS24 central air unit.

When the
indoor thermostat calls for cooling (or heating) , neither the

furnace or
the a/c turns on. When I set the thermostat for cooling, I can

hear a
"click" as the unit attempts to respond but nothing happens (same

situation
with the furnace for heat).

I can control the fan (which does work) from the thermostat. I've

reset
all
circuit breakers and the unit still does not run. I've checked the

outdoor
a/c unit for obstructions, frozen lines etc. and everything

appears (to a
layperson) to be OK.

I've got a call into a local HVAC repair company but, given the

warm
temps,
not going to be able to get anyone out for three days. Any simple
suggestions would be appreciated. We did have a power surge in the

house
due
to a lightning storm that tripped a couple breakers a few weeks

ago. The
a/c
did continue to function for several days afterwards. Would it be

worth my
time and trouble to replace the thermostat?

Suppose to be in the high 80s next few days and I hate to have the

family
suffer in the heat if the solution is one I could readily tackle.

Thanks!

T-stat is not the problem since you can turn on the fan.

Not really-all it means is that he can turn the fan on manually. Says
nothing about the AC contactor or gas valve circuits..

To the OP, can you hear a clicking at the condenser (outside unit)
when the stat calls for cooling?