John Willis

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:47:57 GMT, "peter"
scribbled this interesting note:

I asked several contractor to bid on replacing a section of wood fence.
Most use the same size fence pressure treated post 4x4, which actually
measured 3.5x3.5 inch.

However, one of them says they use a 4.125 x 4.125 size post. I've never
seen this size before. Is it better than 3.5x3.5 or do you think the
contractor just happened to have a cheaper source for this size post?

To my mind, the actual post used is more important than one that would
be just slightly larger.

Pressure Treated posts that are not center cut tend to warp and twist.
Think about it, in this application, what would be most important, a
post that stays straight and true, or one that has a larger load
bearing capacity? The larger wood post isn't necessary since all it
really has to do is hold the fence upright. Yes, I know when the wind
blows, fences sometimes blow down, but that is usually due to rotten
posts or thin walled metal posts.

In short, go with the better contractor. Stress you want center cut
posts so they will stay straight. That extra .625" isn't as important
as workmanship.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)