Gordon Reeder

"Charlie S." wrote in
newsr1Ae.1319$zj4.278@trndny06:

"Pop" wrote in message

"Charlie S." wrote in message
news:C1Tze.400$1%4.16@trndny02...
I usually add telephone jacks by connecting one previously installed
jack to a new one in a series. Would like to add another, but don't
want to go from one jack to the next. Could I spice the wire and
connect another jack. The splice would mean two jacks would be
coming from the same wire.

(I'm not using the term 'series' as like a 'series circuit'.... just
one after another.)

Yes, you can. What you're calling "series", as you correctly noted
an explanation for, is actually a "parallel". You connnect phones in
parallel electrically.

Thanks for the replies. I guess indirectly I was asking whether or
not telephone jacks were connected via series or parallel circuits.

Actually what you are refering to is a daisy chain. Electricly
the jacks are parrallel, but the jacks are wired one after the
other down a line.

Can't believe I've let this 1 hour project last 3 days now. Can't say
I'm spending much time on it, but it's been a bit of a struggle.
Maybe you can help me avoid some problems in the future and present.

Question 1. Had to drill across two thick pieces of wood that were
separated by a 5 inch gap..... total distance of the gap and wood was
about 9 inches. Then, I tried to run the telephone wire through
afterwards. What a struggle. I pinched the end of the telephone wire
to the end of a coat hanger and tried to run it through.

It is almost impossible to find the other whole on the far side of
a gap. Any wire that you try to poke through will be less than
perfactly streight and will not go directly through the gap. It
can be done, but it is a real zen type of experience.

Question 2. I am running the wire along the edge of a cellar ceiling.
Both the ceiling and wall are made out of old plaster.

Don't putnails or screws into old plaster walls. Use an
adheisive hanger. I'm not sure that they are commonly available,
(check an electronics supply store). What you are loking for is
a square plastic adhisive pad with slots in it ta accept a tie
wrap.

Or you can drill a pilot hole through the plaster and run a
long screw into the 2x4 wall header. Leave the screw protuting
about .25". Then attach the wire to the screw the way linemen
atach wires to insulators.

Question 3. After I splice the wire, I'll be using the small plastic
electrical caps to marry the wires together.

No need for wire nuts. This is low voltage, low energy circuits.
You can simply twist the wires together really good. Add some
solder it you want a really good connection.

--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder

Hey EVERYBODY!
Unity means let's try to meet each other halfway