Doug Kanter

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
My point was that some people believe freedom of choice is actually
passed
down from a deity, and this is especially true of cars for some
reason. In
fact, freedom of choice in this country originated with guns.
Period. Nothing to do with a god, although you really touch a nerve
with some people
if you suggest this. :-)

There's a significant difference in the concept and the
implementation which seems to have escaped you...

I don't think so, but it's early yet.

Look, you have to admit that if you sat down with (let's say) 100
people and said "Do you know that you can achieve all your stated
goals (for your next car purchase) with a vehicle that gets 30% better
gas mileage?", there would be some people (and I believe it's a large
percentage) who'd actually say "Holy **** - I really didn't know
that". And, there would be some who'd already done as much research as
they could, and maybe just gathered knowledge over the years, and
really DID need a big pickup truck or SUV.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't let people buy what they want. What
I *am* saying is that I doubt very much that many consumers really
know what they're getting into with SUVs, and would make a different
choice on their own, given the right information. The glut of these
vehicles in used car lots is some indication of this idea.

There's always going to be clueless people around who make poor choices.
The information you mention is there,they just choise to ignore it or not
look for it.
It's not anyone else's duty to tell them how they should live or what
choices they should make,unless they are judged (in a court of law)to be
incompetent to run their own affairs.

You're right. Nothing should be done. No effort should be made.