Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I didn't suggest a smaller engine. I suggested a number of other
things, like programming ***SOME*** models of SUVs to shift like a
car instead of a
truck. Let me know if you don't understand this.

What I don't understand is why you think that changing the drive
train from
RWD/4WD to FWD - while keeping the *same* engine - is going to have
some mystical enormous effect on fuel mileage. It just doesn't work
that way.

Who said "mystical"? I believe it's you that's been focused on what a
small difference it would make. But, what if you made 3 simple changes
to a vehicle,

But they are NOT "simple".

and together they added, say, 20% more gas mileage?
Would that be worthwhile if the vehicles werent' turned to crap by
doing so? Sure - maybe eliminating 4WD only adds 1 mpg. Now, add tires
which make sense for how the owner will ACTUALLY use the car.

Most SUV buyers already can pick "street" tires or heavy-duty tires for
off-road,construction or heavy load usage.Off road tires make a horrendous
noise.And one can alreadt choose 2WD or 4WD for most SUVs.But not FWD,as
it's too different from the other drivetrains.Entirely different packaging.

And,
reprogram the transmission so it shifts according to a pattern that
matches how the car is ACTUALLY used. If you don't understand this
last point, just ask. It's real.

Some performance autos can select between sport and "normal" shifting.

SUVs were never intended for fuel economy,there are trade-
offs.Larger,heavier vehicles have lower fuel economies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik