Jim Yanik

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

My point was that some people believe freedom of choice is actually
passed down from a deity, and this is especially true of cars for some
reason. In fact, freedom of choice in this country originated with
guns. Period. Nothing to do with a god, although you really touch a
nerve with some people if you suggest this. :-)

You display a complete lack of understanding of the philosophy
underlying the birth of the United States. It appears that you have
never read, or failed to understand, the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created
equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable
rights; that among these rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
happiness; that governments are instituted among men to secure these
rights; that when any form of government becomes destructive of these
ends it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it and to
institute a new government..."

In other words: rights *do* come from God. The government is there to
protect the rights that God gave us. If the government is not doing
its job, it's our right to get rid of it, and replace it with
something that will.

Freedom didn't come from a gun; freedom comes from God. But if you
want to *keep* your freedom, it sure helps to have guns. That's how
the colonists got rid of an unsuitable government.

I prefer to think of them as NATURAL,inherent rights,not coming from any
deity,which I do not believe in.
When one is born,the rights are natural,pre-existing.
They exist regardless of any authority.

(The phrase "their creator" could easily be their birth mother)

"God" is entirely a fictional construct.No different than a belief in
magic.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik