The Real Bev

Doug Kanter wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
max wrote:
wrote:

That sounds right to me. Who are you to decide what vehicle is right
for someone else? Once you start that process, then we should go take
a look at everything people own and do. Is that ski trip to Colorado
necessary? Or should one drive to a ski resort that's closer? How
about driving the family to the beach every weekend in the summer?
Maybe we should close places like Disneyland, since not only does it
use a lot of unnecessary energy,

And that's how politics in America works.

If someone suggests that SUV's are a bad idea and that we ought to use
less gasoline, the next thing you get is "why do you want to close
disneyland and throw me in jail for going to Steamboat??"

Because that's the end result of one group of people deciding what's moral
for everybody and it's our civic duty to point that out whenever the
opportunity arises.

That's pretty extreme. Here's a more moderate idea. You've seen public
service commercials about forest fires, the dangers of tobacco, etc. You
have no problem with those commercials, and they actually work over a period
of time.

Yeah, I DO have a problem with those commercials, especially if they're made
with tax money. With a few exceptions, such things are so heavy-handed that
they inspire rebellion rather than compliance. I stopped smoking because I
got angry about the idea that the officers of tobacco companies were wearing
$1K suits obtained by selling me my own death a carton at a time. I don't set
fires in forests. I speed when I can get away with it. I tear the tags off
sofa cushions. I don't do drugs because I don't need the kind of damage they
might do, even if they're actually harmless.

So, I'm sure you would have no problem with similar commercials aimed at
informing clueless consumers of things they did not know about vehicles.

You can't inform the clueless of anything worth informing them about. It
doesn't work and just makes them angry. Figure out how to make them learn
rather than absorb propaganda and you might have something.

And, if you considered that to be a form of control, you really need to get
with a good psychologist.

There's a difference between persuasion and control. We already have too many
laws and too much interference with our personal lives. If somebody wants to
control something new, then he better be prepared to relinquish control over
something equivalently pervasive.

Yeah, like THAT will happen.

--
Cheers, Bev
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a