Dave

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:24:17 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

Background: I'm trying to modify my attic a little bit in order to store
some things up there. Currently I'm busy fastening 3/4" plyboard over
the ceiling rafters (so objects to be stored won't crash thru the drywall
ceiling). However movement/activity up there is hampered by the fact
that the roof is supported by factory produced 2x4 trusses, as these are
composed of many cross members that switch back-and-forth at oblique
angles between the upper and lower rafter sections of each truss. It
would certainly make my attic storage efforts easier if some of these
cross-members could somehow be removed out of the way (that is... in such
a way as to not compromise the structural integrity of my roof, of
course).

Therefore I'm requesting feedback on the following idea: 'Sistering'
(i.e. reinforcing with) 2x6s to the topmost rafters, followed by removal
of some of the supporting cross-members of said trusses. Not being a
carpenter or structural engineer of any kind, I'm seeking informed
comments/advice from others before going further with this.

Thanks.

Ken

This is the main reason I would NEVER build a house with trusses. The
older homes I have lived in all my life had stick framed roofs.
Normally 2x8's across the floor (above your ceiling) and they go from
the outer walls to the center support wall. Then the roof is 2X6's
from the outer walls, and come together at the peak. Built that way,
you can make a real attic, build rooms up there and whatever. Trusses
save the expense of the larger dimension lumber, but are all wasted
space. They are fine for a barn or something where you would not need
an attic, but for a house they are just a big waste of space.
Considering the high cost of trusses, I tend to wonder if they are
really worth the savings, because I tend to think the savings is
minimal. You can call me old fashioned, but I was taught to never have
boards end midstream between supports on horizontal runs (between
walls), but I have alot of disputes with modern construction. Don't
even get me started about those particle board floor joists, and if
you use them be sure your toilet never overflows or you might end up
sitting on your basement floor on top of a pile of wood chips.

Well, you can get trusses designed to provide attic space.

Matt

Exactly. Not of much help to the OP, but that's the way to do it. I have
just completed the rebuild of a total ground up rebuild of my home that was
lost in a fire. The original home (50 yrs old) had a stick built roof and
was considered to be in the premier neighborhood in the area at the time.
The construction was what I would rate as average, although contractors who
examined what was left said it was very well built. 2x6 outside walls,
plaster walls, mahogany trim, etc. Attic access was through the garage. 2
X 8's on 16" centers spanning 24'! Most of the plaster on the garage
ceiling was cracked due to sag. Didn't store too much other than christmas
stuff and empty boxes. Still, just my weight (170lbs) you could feel the
joists move. In the new house, I had the garage (increased to 35') area
trussed for storage (the truss people like to call it a "bonus room").
Solid as rock! I can literally jump up and down and the floor/ceiling
doesn't give a bit! So much for old vs. new construction. Could a free
rafter roof be as solid? Sure, I have no doubt. Lot's more expensive
lumber. The big bonus as far as I'm concerned with trusses is the future
flexibility with floor plans. Want to move a wall? No problem. Most
interior walls are non-load bearing so just knock 'em down and move 'em. As
far as the "particle board" I-joists, I doubt a toilet over flowing once (
or even a dozen times) is going to dissolve them. And if you've got that
bad of a water problem, you've got some serious problems! They got a bad
rap early on, but the adhesives have vastly improved in the last ten years.
A good analogy is the world of automobiles. Once upon a time, to build a
solid car, you added more metal. Now, look at the most structurally solid
cars. What do they use? Carbon fiber in honeycomb EPOXY matrix. Yeah,
they're glued together! Try to field a formula one or indy car out of good
old fashioned steel and see where you get. Technology marches on. If you
use it wisely, you can build a very solid house. However, I am convinced
after working early on in the design phase of my home that your typical GC
doesn't give a hoot about quality. If you want a well built house (or
anything else, for that matter) you're better off building it yourself.
That's what I had to do.