Doug Kanter

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote
Rod Speed wrote
FDR wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Doug Kanter wrote
HeyBub wrote
PaPaPeng wrote

The US was free from problems with Muslims since its founding
until 9-11.

And where do you think the refrain "...to the shores of
Tripoli..." comes from? We were at war with Muslims withing
the first 25 years of our existence.

" Tripolitania was one of the outposts for the Barbary pirates
who raided Mediterranean merchant ships or required them to pay
tribute. In 1801, the pasha of Tripoli raised the price of
tribute, which led to the Tripolitan war with the United
States. When the peace treaty was signed on June 4, 1805, U.S.
ships no longer had to pay tribute to Tripoli. "

Is that the war you're referring to? It was a war over money,
called "tribute" in this example. It had nothing to do with
Islamic anything,

They were however muslims, so Peng's claim is just plain pig
ignorant.

any more than a mafia don's catholic upbringing has to do
with his insistence that some profits get kicked upstairs.

Peng just said 'problem with Muslims'

I could just see Bin Laden and his buddies sitting there and
stewing over Tripoli. Yeah right.

Irrelevant to Peng's stupid pig ignorant claim.

Maybe he was thinking about the fact that our troops spent some
time in or near Tripoli in WWII.

I doubt it, and that was problem with krauts, not moslems anyway.

But, that would be problems with Lutherans, or whatever the major
religion was in Germany at the time.
:-)

The real problem was with the non religious krauts who started the
war.

I was keeping the analogy as similar as possible.

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of
your predicament better than that pathetic effort.

He mentioned Tripoli as an example of a problem with Muslims. I mentioned
our later presence in Tripoli as a problem with Lutherans. Doesn't matter if
every German soldier we met in the desert was atheist, Lutheran, or
Catholic. I was pushing his stupid comment to the absurd. It worked.