Rod Speed

Ford Prefect wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ford Prefect wrote
Buck Turgidson wrote

Imagine the 300 billion (probably end up close to 600 billion)
used for alternative energy research instead of spending it on the war,
Halliburton, etc. Had we spent the money there, we wouldn't need these
sultans, emirs, ayatollahs, etc.

The problem is that much of the alternative energy options are easy for the
individual to use, but difficult for the mega corps to control distribution.
There is no money in it for them if you or I can produce our own power, heat
& fuel.

Mindless conspiracy theory.

The reality is that it just aint practical to 'produce our own power, heat &
fuel' and that amount of money wouldnt do anything useful on that.

Even say replacing all S facing roofs with solar cells wouldnt do it.

Depends on your usage of energy, insulation etc.

It actually depends on where you live. It is certainly
possible in some areas, particularly those that dont
get that hot, but there arent enough who live in those
areas to be that significant to the bulk of the first world.

And while its possible to be entirely energy self sufficient
in some areas where it doesnt get too cold, there arent
all that many that keen on living in super insulated houses.

The short story is that they prefer to pay what is
quite affordable for the mains power they need etc.

We built a solar powered house totally off the grid in Canada with only eight
100 watt panels and a small back up generator.

Yes, that is possible in areas that dont get too hot.

The fuel costs averaged less than $10.00 per month from November to March. We
calculated adding four to more panels would have made the generator an
expensive door stop.

Pity about the total cost of the panels and batterys compared
with the cost of the mains power if the mains is available.