Doug Kanter

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I didn't suggest a smaller engine. I suggested a number of other
things,
like programming ***SOME*** models of SUVs to shift like a car instead
of
truck. Let me know if you don't understand this.

What I don't understand is why you think that changing the drive train
from
RWD/4WD to FWD - while keeping the *same* engine - is going to have
some
mystical enormous effect on fuel mileage. It just doesn't work that
way.

Who said "mystical"? I believe it's you that's been focused on what a
small
difference it would make. But, what if you made 3 simple changes to a
vehicle, and together they added, say, 20% more gas mileage? Would that
be
worthwhile if the vehicles werent' turned to crap by doing so? Sure -
maybe
eliminating 4WD only adds 1 mpg. Now, add tires which make sense for how
the
owner will ACTUALLY use the car. And, reprogram the transmission so it
shifts according to a pattern that matches how the car is ACTUALLY used.
If
you don't understand this last point, just ask. It's real.

The amount of time spent in lower gear owing to shifting patterns is
pretty miniscule.

Perhaps, but some trucks will downshift out of overdrive or 5th or whatever,
too soon and for too long when all you wanted to do was move gradually from
55 to 65 mph. In other words, they behave as if it's a panic situation, or
are programmed with the assumption that you're hauling lots of weight. Don't
tell me "no" - it happens with my truck, and I've heard the same thing from
other owners in discussions of how to improve gas mileage. Yeah - you learn
to deal with it, if you're paying attention.

What is far more significant is rear-end ratio. But,
if one turns a truck tranny/rear end into a car one, two things
happen--1. The vehicle no longer serves its design purpose, and 2. when
used as intended, it will suffer untimely failure.

All correct, but as we've already established, most SUVs are NOT towing, NOT
hauling a ton (literally) of cargo, NOT dancing across creeks & boulders
like in the commercials. So, "serving its design purpose" leads us back in a
circle to providing vehicles that actually meet the needs of the people
buying them. I need to haul a boat. Most SUVs don't.