Doug Kanter

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message

The car
makers can reduce the price a little, but probably make more, since
most customers have no real idea how much cheaper it is to make a
2wd
vehicle. And, offer 4wd versions for people who explicitly ask for
them. I don't think many will.

Even more impractical.

Are you saying that offering a selection is impractical?

No, I'm saying that offering a front-drive and a 4WD version of the
same
thing
is impractical from the standpoint of building the vehicle.

Why is it practical, then, for pickup trucks to be built with either 4WD
or
2WD? Both are available in large quantities, or at least they were 2 days
ago when a friend of mine bought her Tundra, and also shopped Ford &
Chevy
dealers on the same street.

Are you saying it's MECHANICALLY impractical, or impractical in a
business
sense?

Yes.

A 4WD/2WD is still rear drive w/ longitudinal engine mount. FWD is
transverse.

I guess it's impossible, then. Forgive me for suggesting it.