Doug Kanter

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
My point was that some people believe freedom of choice is
actually
passed
down from a deity, and this is especially true of cars for some
reason.
In
fact, freedom of choice in this country originated with guns.
Period.
Nothing to do with a god, although you really touch a nerve with
some
people
if you suggest this. :-)

There's a significant difference in the concept and the
implementation
which seems to have escaped you...

I don't think so, but it's early yet.

Look, you have to admit that if you sat down with (let's say) 100
people
and
said "Do you know that you can achieve all your stated goals (for
your
next
car purchase) with a vehicle that gets 30% better gas mileage?",
there
would
be some people (and I believe it's a large percentage) who'd
actually
say
"Holy **** - I really didn't know that". And, there would be some
who'd
already done as much research as they could, and maybe just
gathered
knowledge over the years, and really DID need a big pickup truck or
SUV.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't let people buy what they want.
What
*am*
saying is that I doubt very much that many consumers really know
what
they're getting into with SUVs, and would make a different choice
on
their
own, given the right information. The glut of these vehicles in
used
car
lots is some indication of this idea.

You whiffed on the point entirely...

I commented only on your comment establishment of US via armed
revolution as being the implementation of a concept which was
expressed
in the Declaration...

Oh. OK. Well....I filter out the word "god" from all government
related
documents because I think it's nonsense to blend the two. So, I have a
really hard time with someone who says it's his god-given right to do
things
that are unpatriotic.

Well, you might read the Declaration of Independence (I'd say "again",
but it's clear you must not have ever really read it)....

What is "patriotic" in the sense of most of your complaints is, in our
society, mostly in the eye of the beholder, not some external moralist
such as yourself.

So, in other words, you'd NEVER be prepared to make certain sacrifices
for
your country, as our parents and grandparents did during WWII, for
example?

No, I'm perfectly prepared...I'm only opposed those who think/spout
PC'ese

What if your president told you the exact same thing I'm saying?