Default Large jaws for oneway

I was at Darrell Feltmate's site ( http://aroundthewoods.com ) the
other day (followed a thread from this group) He has a page that
describes making cole jaws from plywood for a oneway chuck. I tried it
(first try) & the jaws were way off. I imagine that I drilled the
holes wrong. It was my strategy to drill holes while the circle was
whole & make sure they fit the base jaws & then round the disc and
bandsaw from there. When the holes in the ply didn't line up, I
bandsawed anyway & met disaster-- anyway
Question:
Could I turn a disc and turn a recess to match the bump out on the back
of the outer jaws & actually use the jaws as a drill guide? They ARE
case hardened-- I don't imagine that a hss drill would round out the
holes. Thought I'd pass this on to the group before maybe voiding my
warranty with Oneway.
PH---