J. R. Carroll

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:e5lAe.149346$sy6.48156@lakeread04...
A couple of things wrong with that. First it was Puerto Rican separatist
that shot up Congress and it was in 1954. Also The Philippine

insurrection
ended in 1902, 3 years after the Treaty of Paris and William Howard Taft

is
credited with negotiating it's end peacefully. We gave the Philippines
their independence in 1946, 47 years after the Treaty of Paris. Not 100
years.

Other than that, we are in agreement.

Glenn,
Oh boy, I'm not usually that sloppy but I wrote it off the top of my head,
or you might say I pulled it out of my ass.
I guess I just pulled an O'Reilly but unlike Bill I am more than ready to
admit a mistake and apologize for it. Your rebuttal was pretty courteous and
I thank you for that.
I should have remembered the PR separatist connection for personal reasons.
The Philippine insurrection movement is alive to this day. Many of the
southern islands are no man zones and beyond the control of the recognized
government. It wasn't to long ago that the guerrillas in control captured
and killed a group of foreign nationals. Also, TR did send in the navy
during his term and the result was truly something to behold, and not
something wonderful. I also wouldn't argue the date they got their
independence but it wouldn't be hard to make a case that the regime in
charge was seriously manipulated and that this caused great resentment. We
had a very large and visible armed presence at Subic and other places and
those bases were sovereign soil. Panama and Nicaragua are other examples.

When you get right down to it, the US might still be hitched to the UK had
they been willing to allow us representation in parliament. That was what
our own revolution was really about - self determination or at least some
reasonable input.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.