J. R. Carroll

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , J. R. Carroll

says...

US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld gave the first indication Sunday
that some members of the Bush administration recognize that the

insurgency
may not be in its "last throes," as Vice President Dick Cheney said
recently. Mr. Rumsfeld told Fox News Sunday: "Insurgencies tend to go on
five, six, eight, 10, 12 years."

Thank you, yes it was rumsfeld, not rove who came up with
numbers in years.

Jim

You are welcome Jim.
Rumsfeld has it wrong though. The US bought the Philippine Islands from
Spain for 20 million in 1898 as part of the treaty negotiated in Paris to
end a war with Spain. There was an insurgent group committing acts of
"terrorism" from the get go. Theodore Roosevelt ended up suppressing it
during his presidency with what amounted to a slaughter of the local
populace. In 1952, Philippine "insurgents" shot up the US Capitol building
before being killed themselves, and we finally got thrown out of the
Philippines nearly 100 years after our occupation, er ah, acquisition.
Iran is another example. The natives deposed the Shah after nearly 40 years
of insurgent activity. That the Palavi family was propped up by the US is
and remains the reason they love Americans and hate the US government and
the policies it employs.
Vietnam achieved self rule after decades of occupation, the last - as you
are no doubt aware, was American.
I don't know where Don Rumsfeld comes up with his numbers but it certainly
isn't from history texts.

When you think about what is happening in the world today, it is a good idea
to keep history in mind and forget partisanship.
Those we now face as enemies are neither Democrat or Republican. They are
surely nor, for the most part, motivated by their faith in Islam. Their
faith has been leveraged and perverted in the same manner that many in the
US televangelist community pray on their congregations for ends far removed
from the teaching of any faith.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.