On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:04:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:07:39 -0600, the opaque Trevor Jones
clearly wrote:

Yeah, Larry, a good mechanic would have a pretty good grasp of this. In
a world where there are still a few retrograde idiots that will pick up
a running lawm mower to trim a hedge (as an example of extremes), that
particular hoist strikes be as a Darwin Award precursor.

If you realized how many items (and tools) in your life are
manufactured by the Chinese, Indian, Taiwanese, Japanese, Canuck or
American worker and minimum-wage/3rd-grade-dropout, you might be even
more afraid than you are now.

BUT, Darwin must be served, right? (Shhhh!) g

Do they actually sell jackstands tall enough to use with this hoist?
That would be a decent solution for the OP, if the welds were to be
trusted.

Back when we used single-post inground hydraulic hoists, we had high
stands that would hold the car at full height(aprox 5'6" - 6'). We
also had a chunk of 2" Sched 80 pipe that fit between the hoist head
and the floor (actually the hoist seal ring) that held the vehicle if
it needed to stay up for an extended period of time. There were times
when it was used EVERY time a car was on the hoist - to prevent an
oily floor and a slowly descending vehicle.
Almost any jack stand could be used as a safety device. Heck, a chunk
of log thicker than your body would work in many cases, too.

I will confess to not having downloaded the manual when I looked at the
item page on the HF site, as my fencewire connection told me it would
take about 10 minutes to download, and frankly, I was not that
interested in waiting for it, since I am not buying one.

One way around that is to open another browser windoew and download it
there while you browse elsewhere or peruse Usenet.