Tony Bryer

In article , Capitol wrote:
In your dreams, traffic surveys IIRC show traffic up on other
routes around the centre! It is destroying Central London as a
great shopping area. 20% loss of trade so far.

You see this sort of number tossed around but I do not believe it for
one minute. Firstly I would find it very surprising if 20% of shoppers
had gone in to central London by car. No one that I know would have
driven into central London pre CC except in exceptional circumstances.
Secondly it's £5 (until now) - not the sort of amount to put you off
if you're going to be spending hundreds at Selfridges. Finally if
there really is less traffic then those who do chose to drive in find
getting around easier and it will be much easier to park. Meanwhile
all this reduced traffic is saving other businesses money or
increasing their profits - I'm guessing at numbers but it would not
seem impossible that a Viking delivery driver could now do 35 drops in
a day, when it used to be 30.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]