Michael Kennedy

That's what I thought to start with to start with also. But I found that it
could be activated with an IR diode. I have isolated the spot. It is a
testpoint that leads to a chip on the other side. The testpoint is a small
hole.

I don't know what or why it works, but I wired an IR diode in and volia. The
button is functioning how it should, except you can't do a master reset with
it.

My theory on why it is working is that there is a crack in the chip on the
other side. But since I know nothing about how chips work I don't know if
that is a possible cause.

- Mike

"Not me" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 02:19:48 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Hi, I bought an ipod with a broken menu button. Well i thoght I'd just
have
to resolder or buy a new switch.. I resoldered the switch with no luck and
then I checked it with an ohm meter and it checked good. Now here is the
Weird part, I was inspecting the board under my desk lamp with it powered
on
and the switch started working, well sort of.

If you shine light on part of the board it closes the circut like you
pushed
the button down!!!??? There is not an optical sensor that i can see
anywhere near there, and it is away from the switch that doesn't work. It
has some smt resistors in the area and some holes that appear to go all
the
way through to a chip on the other side.

So my question is what the heck is going on??? I've never seen anything
like
this before. It is not supposed to be light activated..

I'll put some picures up on my web server when I find my digital camera
charger.

- Mike

How close are you getting with the light? Could you be causing some
sort of thermal effect?