Ford Prefect

Rod Speed wrote:

Ford Prefect wrote

Buck Turgidson wrote

Imagine the 300 billion (probably end up close to 600 billion) used for
alternative energy research instead of spending it on the war, Halliburton,
etc. Had we spent the money there, we wouldn't need these sultans, emirs,
ayatollahs, etc.

The problem is that much of the alternative energy options are easy for the
individual to use, but difficult for the mega corps to control distribution.
There is no money in it for them if you or I can produce our own power, heat &
fuel.

Mindless conspiracy theory.

The reality is that it just aint practical to 'produce our own power, heat
& fuel' and that amount of money wouldnt do anything useful on that.

Even say replacing all S facing roofs with solar cells wouldnt do it.

Depends on your usage of energy, insulation etc. We built a solar
powered house totally off the grid in Canada with only eight 100 watt
panels and a small back up generator. The fuel costs averaged less than
$10.00 per month from November to March. We calculated adding four to
more panels would have made the generator an expensive door stop.