Doug Kanter

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .

Now, here's a way for the government to get involved only slightly,
and the car makers to make MORE money on SUVs. The government should
find an incentive (bludgeoning, in other words) to get the car makers
to offer the same SUVs, but with power trains which more closely
approach "normal". "Not like a truck", in other words. The power train
design is the PRIMARY reason these vehicles get such bad mileage. Give
customers the same physical, boxy shape they want, same choice of
motors, but with front wheel drive. The car makers can reduce the
price a little, but probably make more, since most customers have no
real idea how much cheaper it is to make a 2wd vehicle. And, offer 4wd
versions for people who explicitly ask for them. I don't think many
will.

Ah,you want GOVERNMENT to engineer autos.
That's really efficient...yup.Sure.

I've trimmed away all but the important paragraph, above. Show me where I
said the government should engineer cars.