Andy Hall

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:29:23 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Maybe public transport should be done properly and where appropriate
and not forced onto people by artificial bending such as congestion
tax.

The congestion tax is only 5 quid. Try finding anywhere to park for that
all day within the zone.

It does what it says. It's also reduced congestion in surrounding boroughs
as well by reducing commuting.

I'm surprised you're so selfish you want unrestricted access by road
traffic where that traffic causes so much misery to the residents.

I didn't say that I wanted unrestricted road access, only that this is
a poor way to achieve it and to fix the transport issue in general.
It is a negative approach, not a positive one.

The correct way would be to make public transport attractive to use,
not to make private transport less attractive. Even with that,
public transport still has the limitation that it goes from point A to
point B at time T. The customer wants to go from point C to point D
and when they want to do so. Non-polluting taxis would be a better
solution than to force people to cram into metal cans which are
vulnerable to the situation that we have seen this past week.

There are two sides to commuting. One is that it is unpleasant and a
waste of time for people who do it, especially when they can work at
home. On the other hand, there are businesses and businesses that
support those businesses who rely on people being in face to face
contact. If they are no longer able to do that, then the supporting
businesses disappear. There is an economic effect.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com