Wanderer

Default How close to my house may I safely plant a Leylandii hedge ?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:28:10 GMT, Frank Watson wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:08:53 +0100, "Peter Scott"
wrote:

Leylandii is a wonderful evergreen solid hedge, but....

Peter, Thanks for the info. One slight correction on my original post:
the hedge is 4.5 mtr from the house - not 3.5 as I stated.

I'm still hoping for some advice on whether to chop them down or what.
If the hedge is still there when I sell the houise, will it be a black
mark in the buyer's surveyor's report? Anyone?

Frank

I have leylandii hedges all around my place. They give us superb privacy,
and to be honest I wouldn't dream of getting rid of them. They were planted
by a previous owner quite a few years ago, and have developed into a hedge
some 2 or 3m deep by a good 4 to 5m high. They're a sod to trim, they need
cutting every six to eight weeks - this year is the first time I've done
it. I've always had someone else in to do it i the past. The problem is
getting rid of the clippings - with something like 60 to 70m of hedging in
three sections there are a bloddy lot of clippings.

The trees don't put down deep roots, we took a few out along one border,
and the main part of the root system didn't go more than 400 - 500mm deep.
I had someone grind the stumps out. As to how they affect the resale price,
well, I'd stress the privacy aspect.