SteveB

wrote in message
oups.com...
10$ per hour to get out of bed
an addittional 10$ an hour to go down to the shop
10$ more to turn the lights on
10$ to run any of the equipment inside.
Then we have to assess any attitude adjustment fees and or compensation
to hurry.
If you think you are unskilled go on down to the nearest garage and ask
them their labor rate.

A month or so ago, we took off on a fishing trip in our motorhome. The
tranny blew outside town. We had it taken to the friendly local Ford
Authorized Service Center for Heavy Trucks.

They charge $85 to $140 per hour.

Since I have six weeks to go on our annual service that keeps our extended
warranty going, I left instructions on the ticket to do the service. Check
belts, hoses, fluid levels, change oil, filter, etc. It amounts to a $300
oil change, but that is what keeps the warranty valid.

They called to say the MH was ready. I asked if they had done the service,
too. "Oh, yeah." was the answer. I got there, and was presented with a
bill for $0.00 because it was under warranty. I asked about the bill for
the service.

"What service?"

"The service I ordered when we brought it in."

"It's not on the order."

"It was on the order that I signed."

"Well, it's not on THIS order."

"**** it. I'll just go somewhere that they do $300 oil changes and let them
do it."

I am endlessly amazed at high shop rates where they miss the obvious, like
putting back the oil filler cap. Not seeing a bad belt. Not tightening
something that is loose. A thousand things that Steveland Morris would
find. (Stevie Wonder) Knuckledragging workers plodding about.

If you do good work and guarantee it, you will have a growing business and
satisfied (and referring good business) customers. You never have to
apologize for your rates because it's done and it's done right.

Hell, there's even enough work out there for the crappy businesses to stay
in business at high rates.

Steve