Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 09 Jul 2005 12:30:17 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Not that I really approve of dumping large amounts of heat
outdoors,

Neither do I. Maybe an option if the OP has the space is a small pump
(perhaps a solar powered) and lots of black hose pipe. On a day like
today there will be a considerable temperature rise in the water
flowing through the hose.

ISTR last year someone building a pool heating system using this
technique and been very happy with the results. Google?

The OP could spend =A390 on an electric heater element (!), then pay to
run it every day, and not get much rise anyway.

Or the OP could buy =A390 worth of hosepipe, polythene & pump, and get
10kW with 1/10th the run cost of the 3kW heater.

Not a tough choice. Cheap pool solar heating is very easy to make btw,
probably easier than installing electric into the water.

NT