Al Reynolds wrote:
wrote:
Al Reynolds wrote:
wrote:
The party wall act only applies to party walls. It's quite clear from
the OP that he wants to avoid this by building away from the boundary.

Rubbish.

If you want to excavate within 3m of your neighbour's foundations
then the Party Wall Act applies.

OK, I didn't phrase it very well, but what I said still holds true
"It's quite clear from the OP that he wants to avoid this by building
away from the boundary". So the answer to his question "How far from
the boundry line can I build without having to seek his permission" is
3m then.

Yes, the bit you didn't phrase very well was the bit where you
said "The party wall act only applies to party walls." which was
of course, completely incorrect. As the respondent to the OP
said, he needs to conform to the Party Wall Act. We all need
to conform to this Act - it's the law.

The OP said (paraphrasing) that he wants to avoid getting caught up in
anything that involves his neighbour. Yes, in a very general sense we
all have to conform to the act, but if he builds far enough away from
the boundary then the party wall act has no relevance to his situation
and he does not need his neighbours permission to build an extension.

MBQ