Martin Angove

In message ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
(Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) writes:
On 18 Jun 2005 22:46:09 GMT,
(Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:
Transformer size is really only an issue on planes and boats, which
often do use 400Hz.

A *lot* of military hardware, neither afloat nor airborne, uses 400Hz for
power distribution, not just to cut down on the mass of transformers, but
also on their bulk.

Well, perhaps I should have broadened it to say portable/transportable.

I also got some private feedback from someone who used to be in the supply
industry who said transformer size _is_ important to them -- they want
them big and heavy, so they can't be stolen ;-)

Didn't stop someone stealing a 75MVA (? might be a factor out there, it
was a few years ago) transfromer from the ex-steelworks at
Templeborough. When British Steel handed the building over to the group
which turned it into the Magna Science Adventure Centre (I worked there
for a while) they left the last arc furnace transformer parked in the
lot while they found somewhere to put it.

No-one knows what happened to it, and it must have involved a large
crane and a low-loader, but when they came to claim it just before the
centre opened it was no longer there. Magna ended up paying a lot of
money to BS for having "lost" their transformer.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: