riccip

"kiich" wrote:

This is almost certainly your problem. This valve should be
operated by your programmer. Make sure electrical power is
switched on to both and check fuses.

By which programmer though? the programmer underneath the boiler OR the
7 day immersion heater one? or both?

The boiler programmer (CH & HW).

i do remember seeing a cable going into the valve from the boiler
programmer though.

when you electrical power to BOTH - you mean the boiler programmer AND
7 day immersion heater programmer right? if so, i see lights coming on
for both so power must be good??

Sorry no. By BOTH I meant the programmer and the valve. I'm
assuming that the valve is electrically controlled (motorised).
You said above there is a wire going to it. It should look
something like the one at this URL:
http://tinyurl.com/bb7d2

If it does then you should also see a small slide-lever on the
side of the box, attached to the valve, for manual operation. You
could try opening the valve fully using this lever while the
boiler is supplying HW. If your CH comes on then we're closer to
solving the problem.

Being a flat it means the feed to the copper cylinder cannot be
mounted high enough to supply sufficient HW pressure. Cold water
comes through at mains pressure. So the pump boosts pressure for
the entire HW system while acting as a power shower.

but why does the shower pump come on for cold water in the en-suite
ONLY and not for the main bathroom then?

Sorry, yes. I've just reread your post and now understand what
you mean. Without physically seeing it I can't explain why the
pump comes on when you use that particular CW tap, but the pump
can't be supplying cold water to it.

Slide something padded under the pump. Foam, cardboard, rubber,
anything that reduces transmission of the pump's vibes.

kiichi
the shower pump is sitting on a wooden shelf and it has 4 pipes (i
think 4 but will check) coming in - if i slide something underneath the
shower pump, would that cause these pipes to break?

Highly unlikely. There should be more than enogh flexibility to
slide something under there. I was thinking something like a
J-sponge, about a quarter-inch thick.

riccip