BigWallop

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
Peter Crosland wrote:
I would like to build an extension to the rear of my house. I don't
think the next door neighbour would agree to me building on the
boundry line, in fact I want to avoid the issue with him altogether.

Very wise. Bend over backwards to do the work with his tacit approval.

How far from the boundry line can I build without having to seek his
permission. I have read that this is 300mm but can't find any
information from the odpm.gov. website to confirm this.

You need building regulations approval, probably planning permission

and
you
need to conform to the Party Wall Act. Details on the latter are at

The party wall act only applies to party walls. It's quite clear from
the OP that he wants to avoid this by building away from the boundary.

Rubbish.

If you want to excavate within 3m of your neighbour's foundations
then the Party Wall Act applies.

Al

Isn't it funny how some people read the first line of the planning and
building regulations, and then they think they know it all. I don't think
anyone who has replied thus far, has read passed the first paragraph. (and
a very big sorry to all those who have replied otherwise).