BigWallop

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:
LOL!!! An extension to any property needs permission from everyone that

can
overlook it. Everyone around your property within seeing distance needs

receive a letter of objection to you building an extension. The have a

time

No, this is just a courtesy of the council, and varies by council.
The circumstances in which they are _required_ to do this are very
limited. A neighbour applied for planning permission, but I was not
informed by the council as it was just over 1m from my boundary.
Fortunately I got on very well with my neighbours, so they told me
about it, but otherwise it's up to me to keep an eye out for the
official council notices in local newspapers, noticeboards, etc.

In a different council area, I seem to get notifications of planning
applications at least 6 houses away.

limited option to send rejection notice to the council of them being
adversely effected by such a build. If they do not respond to the

rejection
notice within the time limit, then you are allowed to go ahead with you
build.

The notice must contain a drawn plan of your proposed extension, clearly
showing where and what sizes it will be, its height, its colour, its

etc.
etc. So you don't just ask your next door neighbour for consent, but
everyone that overlooks where you want to build.

The responses are simply made available to the councillors at the
next planning meeting. If you've ever been to a planning meeting,
you will know that none of the councillors will have read any of
the responses before making their decision, so they are not normally
taken into account. If you want a view taken into account, you would
have to do this by contacting the council and making enough fuss that
they do actually take the trouble to find out what the issues are.
I think most councils will now let you do a 3 minute presentation
at the planning meeting if this has been prearranged (only a single
presentation for, and a single one against, is allowed for any one
planning application).

Andrew Gabriel

Got ya Andrew G. I just found this on the web:
http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/doineed.htm
it's quite comprehensive about the procedures.

Thanks for the heads up.