Andrew Gabriel

In article t,
Chip writes:
On 06 Jul 2005 23:37:41 GMT,it is alleged that andrew@a17 (Andrew
Gabriel) spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

In article t,
Chip writes:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:00:28 +0100,it is alleged that "Dave Plowman
(News)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

In article t,
Chip wrote:
As to wiring scenarios permitted but dangerous, to name a few we have
ring circuits, which allow the connection of 20A rated cable to a 30
amp circuit protective device. I know in practice they have proved
remarkably resilient, but they still give me the creeps. 1x 16A radial
per room, using 2.5mm cable with a _full size earth_ (none of this
cutdown 1.5mm earth in a 2.5 cable), maybe 2x20 amp radials for the
kitchen (on 4mm cable) would make me happier:-)

So you don't understand the principles of final ring circuits?

Yes I understand the principle. I just don't *LIKE* the principle.

You don't seem to understand why the CPC size can be reduced

You are correct, I don't see any circumstances where a reduced earth
conductor could be better than or even equal to a full size one.

OK then, please think of some likely scenario in which it is undersized.

And 6amp lighting circuits with type B breakers, so that the lights on
the stairs go out at random (quite frequent) intervals is odd too.

Why would lights go out at random on the stairs?

Because type B 6 amp breakers often trip whenever a lamp blows on the
circuit.

Still using mains filament lamps in 2005? It really is time to move on..

So because someone else says they're old fashioned, the public should
be inconvenienced?

Well, when I replace a CU, I don't use a B6 breaker on the lights.
That's largely a question of how competent a designer your electrician
is.

In my own home, I don't have any mains filament lamps indoors that
I can think of at the moment, at least, none on the lighting circuit.
I do have a couple of halogen ones outdoors, but they are on their
own breaker.

--
Andrew Gabriel