Adrian C

nthng2snet wrote:

I would like to build an extension to the rear of my house. I don't
think the next door neighbour would agree to me building on the
boundry line, in fact I want to avoid the issue with him altogether.
How far from the boundry line can I build without having to seek his
permission. I have read that this is 300mm but can't find any
information from the odpm.gov. website to confirm this.

If there is not one already, I would strongly recommend that you first
put up a fence to establish the boundary. We didn't and our neighbour
(who is one of those from hell types) has nailed trelis to the purposely
12-inch stepped in extension wall and infested the said wall with ivy.
Not able to do a lot about it without enduring a lot of abuse - We're
for a quiet life 'round here...

I don't think you will get away without having to seek permission. The
excavation work you will be doing is also covered by the Party Wall act,
notifiable if it's 3m from the boundary or his structures.

Get on his good side now. Don't end up with the idiot that I have to
tiptoe around.

--
Adrian C