Chip wrote:
On 6 Jul 2005 13:15:48 -0700,it is alleged that :

I dont think we allow that here! I cant offhand think of any domestic
wiring sceanrio thats permitted in UK by the 16th but dangerous...
maybe you can. The death rate is remarkably low.

[snip]
ok. I'll just compare the death rates.

I think both of those come down to 'construction methods' rather than
wiring per se. A fire which in the UK will result in a smell of
hot/burned PVC then a call to an electrician as to why the breaker
keeps tripping now, would likely have burned down many homes in the US
with the all wood construction.

we have a lot of woodframe here as well, though brick is more popular.

As to dangers, I think the dangers inherent with electricity often
mask other dangers.

As to wiring scenarios permitted but dangerous, to name a few we have
ring circuits, which allow the connection of 20A rated cable to a 30
amp circuit protective device. I know in practice they have proved
remarkably resilient, but they still give me the creeps.

This has been covered in some depth on this ng recently. And the real
life stats bear it out: UK 30A rings are no danger at all.

1x 16A radial
per room, using 2.5mm cable with a _full size earth_ (none of this
cutdown 1.5mm earth in a 2.5 cable), maybe 2x20 amp radials for the
kitchen (on 4mm cable) would make me happier:-)

and increase death rates.

And 6amp lighting circuits with type B breakers, so that the lights on
the stairs go out at random (quite frequent) intervals is odd too.

yes, it is a bit. Type C gets recommended here, but Bs are still the
common choice.

So nothing dangerous.

NT