Chip

On 6 Jul 2005 13:15:48 -0700,it is alleged that
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Many fires with wirenuts were caused by their use on Al cable, in a
few cases with UL approval. This caused and still causes a lot of
anger with US electricians who know from experience it doesn't work,
but nobody listens to them. Pretty much the same as he-(

I dont think we allow that here! I cant offhand think of any domestic
wiring sceanrio thats permitted in UK by the 16th but dangerous...
maybe you can. The death rate is remarkably low.

[snip]
ok. I'll just compare the death rates.

I think both of those come down to 'construction methods' rather than
wiring per se. A fire which in the UK will result in a smell of
hot/burned PVC then a call to an electrician as to why the breaker
keeps tripping now, would likely have burned down many homes in the US
with the all wood construction.

As to dangers, I think the dangers inherent with electricity often
mask other dangers.

As to wiring scenarios permitted but dangerous, to name a few we have
ring circuits, which allow the connection of 20A rated cable to a 30
amp circuit protective device. I know in practice they have proved
remarkably resilient, but they still give me the creeps. 1x 16A radial
per room, using 2.5mm cable with a _full size earth_ (none of this
cutdown 1.5mm earth in a 2.5 cable), maybe 2x20 amp radials for the
kitchen (on 4mm cable) would make me happier:-)

And 6amp lighting circuits with type B breakers, so that the lights on
the stairs go out at random (quite frequent) intervals is odd too.

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.