Chip wrote:
:

they do cause fires, but are still used. Strips of 12 screw connectors
are very cheap here, even if not as cheap as wirenuts. The cost to save
those lives is trivial. Add in the great cost saved in damaged goods,
and the US's use of wirenuts seems to make no real sense.

To be fair, I have seen strip connectors cause burn ups too,
personally I prefer wirenuts as being easier to install.

all components have a failure rate, the question is the comparative
rates.

Many fires with wirenuts were caused by their use on Al cable, in a
few cases with UL approval. This caused and still causes a lot of
anger with US electricians who know from experience it doesn't work,
but nobody listens to them. Pretty much the same as he-(

I dont think we allow that here! I cant offhand think of any domestic
wiring sceanrio thats permitted in UK by the 16th but dangerous...
maybe you can. The death rate is remarkably low.

Most fires are due to overloading extension cords, that is one thing
that really SHOULD be changed, they allow 13 amp rated (16AWG) ext
cords on 20 amp circuits, which is a recipe for disaster, one that all
too often works well:-(

why would that cause disaster, given the large cable safety margins?

Those safety margins are for fixed wiring cables, the fire usually
starts right where someone put the extension cord under a rug.

so why are cables with inadequate margins used? Our regs in UK are the
other way, very conservative.

and why permit 13A rated cable on 20A circuits?

If what youre saying is accurate, the next question is why.

Indeed.

I think we should agree to differ over which wiring system is 'best'
overall, my opinion would be 'neither, they were both designed by
committee, but each has strengths and weaknesses, surprisingly often
in the same areas'.

ok. I'll just compare the death rates.

NT