Stuart Noble wrote:
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 5 Jul 2005 04:18:35 -0700, wrote:

Can anybody tell me of one?
I've got a short run of custom designed skirting to produce.

can you not

a) form the shape from a set of existing cutters, making several passes

b) take a cutter and grind it yourself to the shape you want, using
angle grinder and frequent cold dips? Should manage 2m no problem.

Great idea. I think that at the back of my mind I have an idea that if
I beat around this particular bush for a while, I'll come up with a
convincing justification to purchase a machine that will allow the
cutter to rotate truly into the necessary grinding positions.

You'd be crazy to try and machine this yourself.

Many of us here are crazy - by your standards. People do it
successfully, though homemade cutters dont have a long life.

Skirting is invaraiably
5 or 6 x 1 with a fancy bit on the top, ovolo or ogee. No one will
notice if they're separate sections.

Indeed, its common practice to assemble them from flat board plus
moulding. But you still need to make that top section if you cant get
the moulding anywhere, nor create it by sticking a few bits of moulding
together.

Doing it in plaster is also an option, and probably easier. You cut the
profile piece in wood rather than steel, and use it to wipe the
required shape into place in situ.

NT