Dave

Adrian Berry wrote:
Anybody any suggestions on how to guarantee that the joint is sealed?

anybody got a jig to flog?

Dave

I have a spare Screwfix one, strong tuffnol, in good nick (ie, no nicks in
the guide slot!) - it will need some alignment pegs (part number 10918,
£3.99 - I could probably pick those up for you). I'm based in NW2 but the
jig is in SW19... If you want to make me an offer... ;-) (phone is 07779
263595)

The best way to seal a joint is to use a colour matched combined
sealant/adhesive such as Colorfill (available in a vast range of colours
from worktop supplies and in a more basic selection from larger DIY shops)
(see http://www.unika.co.uk/unikapdfs/new...en_booklet.pdf )

I have also used ordinary glued biscuit joints and run a bead of coloured
silicone sealant around the edges so it squeezes out and then cleaned up the
mess with solvent (the Colorfill one is great, white spirit suffices in a
messy sort of way). This works well for black, brown and other common
colours of silicone. It is much cheaper and the coloured silicone may well
be usefull sealing the worktop to the wall or cabinets.

By the way, when sealing between a worktop and tiled splashback, I prefer to
cover the worktop with strips of hardboard covered in clingfilm. The
worktop, hence hardboard, should be set dead level and tiles can be set from
this datum. The board protects the worktop from tile adhesive, sharp cut
tiles and careless tilers and as the adhesive doesn't stick much to the
clingfilm, the whole lot can be slid out when the tiles are set solid (and
grouted if you prefer). This leaves a nice 3mm recess which takes a bead of
sealant much more effectively than just running it along a rightangled join.

Other points when cutting the mitre - use a sharp, quality cutter, work in
small passes, run the bush against the "waste edge" of the jig's slot until
you have cut all the way through and then a nice smooth pass along the good
edge to finish the cut. Practice on some scraps if you have the luxury of
spare material. Lastly, remember there will be huge amounts of dust from
routing the chipboard core so take precautions to protect your health and
your workplace.

Good luck!
Adrian

Thanks for the advice Adrian, which jig have you got? I've got some 650
tops so need the 18953.

Dave