fred

In article , Rob Convery
writes
I've got a fireplace in my house which has never been used. Its connect to
the gas via a "gas restrictor elbow" as seen here
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/85480.jpg

I would like to stop the gas going to the fireplace while i do a bit of work
around it. The top part of the elbow appears to be a safety cap which then
reveals another screw section. I thought it would be a case of just screwing
this down which would then block the line but it just kept moving down, I
did not want to screw it any further incase it fell through and then meant
there was a leak.

Is it just a case of screwing the middle down till its blocked?

Yup, that's the idea, it gets a little scary in the middle as quite a bit of gas
will escape past the screw until it is fully seated down. If you wanted you
could turn the gas off first at the meter but certainly make sure you know
where the gas isolator is and that it works. Again as a safety, if the screw
got stuck half way you could simply screw the cap back on until you can
isolate the supply.
--
fred