Adrian Brentnall

Hi Stu

On 5 Jul 2005 12:25:27 -0700, "Stu"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to install a woodburning stove. It will need an external twin
wall stainless steel flue on an outside wall. I have a few questions
and would be grateful if any experts can answer them.

My stove has an 8" outlet. Can I use 12" flue outside rather than 8" ?
( I can get some 12" cheap !)

Will this increase or effect the 'draw' in any way ?

Probably best ot check with the people who manufactured the stove. I
seem to recall that you need to 'match' the stove to the flue diameter
- at the very least I could imagine it might be difficult to sweep the
flue if you have two different diameters joined together

I plan on slightly less than 1 metre of stove pipe above the stove
going into the 12" Flue pipe. Does this sound reasonable ?

Again - check with the manufacturer. We bought a new stove from Hunter
a couple of years ago and their technical people couldn't have been
more helpful - even gave us an extra 'optional' part free of charge -
along with lots of advice.

Another useful piece of advice (looking out of the window and it's
peeing down outside) - consider one of those cowls that covers the top
of the flue-pipe - sort of 'coolie-hat' shaped - stops the rain from
pouring down the inside of the flue pipe and bringing all the soot &
tar down with it..... trust me - it's worth the expense !

HTH
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply