:::Jerry::::

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Yes, I accept what you say, but surely the terminals etc. should

be
able to withstand such overloads? What is the point of a final
protection device if it doesn't protect...

It 'protects' against normal, foreseeable usages; it doesn't protect
fully against abuses. So, the terminals and flexes are fine for a

13A
sustained load; and nothing sold with a 13A plug 'should' pull more

than
that. But if you put a 13A plug onto a 16A or 20A peak-draw

appliance,
the terminals and flex will pass that higher draw, a 13A plugtop

fuse
won't blow, but things will get warmer than is conducive to best
practice. Continental-style hobs are one example, higher-current

welders
are another. In both cases, the peak currents (as we've discussed to
death) don't last long; but the repeated excursions into/beyond the
safety margin are a departure from good sense. For example, all's

well
until the flex ends up better thermally insulated (meaning someone

drops
a pile of old newspapers on it) - now instead of being in free air
it's got a harder time getting rid of its heat, and pressure helping

the
softened insulation to move gently aside from its wonted place.
Hopefully the endgame is an L-E or L-N little-sparks short and the

fuse
or MCB popping!

Hmm, it seems to me that there is a failing of either standards or
design, all you say I accept and is great for fixed wiring etc. but
were the safety device is being used by people who barely know how to
wire a plug let alone calculate cable / load ratings....